Monday, January 12, 2015

Elephant Rock!


From left to right: Elder Amorin, Elder Falkner, Marcos, Me, and Elder Davis
Hey Guys!

I love Maricá! This email is being sent a bit late because we had a chance to go sightseeing a bit in our beautiful area this morning and afternoon. I´ll be sure to include some photos of some of the places we saw, Me, Elde Falkner, Elder Amorim, Elder Davis, Marlon, and one of the youngmen in the branch, Marcos. We visited two different places. First, we went on a hike to a place called the Pedra do Elefante (Elephant rock), which was a bout a 2hour hike there and back with an incline increase of 420 meters. Unfortunately (what we didn´t know) to get to the summit, we would of had to rock climb a steep, rocky slope. We decided it would be best to keep mission rules and not go all the way, but Marlon was willing to bring our cameras and take pictures for us of the view while we waited for him.

We also visited a beach town called Ponta Negra and we visited a light house close to the shore. We found a little trail that led to some hidden rocks near the shore line (Luckily, there was no one there!) And we took some cool pictures there, as well.

I´ve kept in touch with one (or two) of my old roommates about rooming together at BYU after the mission. Jamison´s mom said that she get in touch with you, mom, about arranging that for when we get home. I sent Jamison your email and phone number that he´ll send to his mom. 

I´m so happy that you´ll get the chance to help Marlon with English and his Pathway course! He´s such an awesome guy, I´m so happy I had the chance to get to help him and his family receive and commit to living this restored gospel, and it makes me smile my face off to hear that my family back at home is willing to help him out too. There´s no reason to be nervous, he´s a great guy and speaks english VERY WELL. Sometimes when I need to know a word in Portuguese, I tell him in English and he translates it for me. Anyway, I´m excited for you all to meet him!

I´m back to playing the piano in Sacrament meeting! Me and my pimped out, old-style two-row organ. I just love being a part of this branch in Maricá. This past Sunday, I was pleased to attend Marlon´s first lesson given in Elder´s Quroum (how do you spell that?), and he also gave a sweet talk in Sacrament meeting. I´ve said it many times before and I´ll say it again: I love that family so much.

We´ve started teaching a lady named Vera who we found knocking doors close to the church building. She instantly recognized what we taught her to be true, and loved church! She was wishing that church meetings were more often than just on sundays so that she could participate more. We also helped an elderly man return back to church (One who I had been helping just before I was transferred out of MAricá) named Severino. With him coming back to church, he´s brought his 11 year old grandaughter, Ingrid, who has already made great friends with some of the girls in the branch. She came up to us after church and said "I want to do everything possible to become part of this church"... Tell me, what missionary doesn´t love to hear those words?

So yeah. This week was great. This transfer´s going great. I´m seriously loving every moment, and I´m doing my best to finish up my mission strong and with no regrets. I love you all and wish you the very best this cold week back at home while I soak up this glorious, hot Rio sun!

Love,
Elder Braun
A distant view of the Elephant rock



No comments:

Post a Comment